“Because the Lord God helps me, I will not be dismayed; therefore, I have set my face like flint to do his will, and I know I will triumph” (Isaiah 50:7)
Marvin and I were driving home from a wedding just west of Olympia, Washington. As is our habit when on the road for several hours, we began to talk about things that are important to us. This day, we were discussing the New Year. Goals, resolutions, and plans.
Because the previous year had been a year of transition for us, we decided to discuss and re-affirm some of the commitments we had made to God. What was it we would continue to do with all our hearts and minds and souls? What would we pour our lives into this year?
Here are some of the affirmations we made to God and to each other for the year.
1. We will continue to love the Lord our God with all of our heart and soul and strength.
2. We will continue to serve Him — our aim is to please Him in all of our ways.
3. We will continue to read and obey the Bible, using it as the standard for our life.
4. We will continue to love and be faithful to each other.
5. We will continue to love and be faithful to our children and grandchildren.
6. We will continue to give our tithes and offerings to the Lord.
7. We will continue to work hard and do the best we can to win people to Christ and help the unfortunate around the world.
There were more, but these were the most important to us.
How about you? Do you write out your commitments to God? If not, I encourage you to do so. Keep them in your Bible, so they are always before you.
Father, we love to do Your will! We love to serve You! Thank You for giving us the grace, the will and power to follow Your ways. In our hearts we say, “Yes Lord, yes!”. Amen.
If you don’t know Jesus and would like to start a life that is focused on his priorities, you can start your journey with him by saying a simple prayer:
Lord Jesus, I want to trust you from now on. Thank You for dying on the cross for my sins. I open the door of my life and receive You as my Savior and Lord. Thank You for forgiving my sins and giving me eternal life. Take control of my life. Make me be the person You want me to be. Thank you for enabling me to trust you in these uncertain times. Amen.
More New Year Articles