“Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people he chose for his inheritance. Blessed are the people whose God is the Lord.” Psalm 33:12, 144:15.
When we sing “God Bless America,” we are singing a blessing on this country. Can we ask God to bless this nation in its present state of heart and soul? Can we ask God to bless us while we murder unborn babies, make merchandise of alcohol, drugs, and pornography, idolize over-paid sports heroes, and totter dangerously close to the edge of violence and anarchy?
We can pray for us to be a nation that is blessable by God. Pray that God will do what only He can do: change the hearts of kings (decision-makers in all areas of our economy and government) to follow after Him and His word. Let’s pray this especially for the four who are running for the office of president and vice-president, because two of the four will surely be our leaders for at least four years, regardless of whether you vote red or blue. Let’s pray this for all those in authority: Cabinet members, Senators and Congressmen, Wall Street, bank Presidents, oil company presidents, local officials, and candidates for office. We need a revolution of blessedness in those in authority.
Pray these “blessed” descriptions of godly leaders.
Lord, give us men and women who…
- Do not walk in counsel of ungodly. Psalm 1:1-2
- Delight in the law of God and meditate on it. Psalm 112:1
- Take refuge in the Lord. Psalm 34:8
- Know that their transgressions are forgiven, sins are covered and not counted against them, and in whom there is no deceit. Psalm 32:1-2
- are generous and lend freely. Psalm 37:26
- Trust in the Lord. Psalm 40:4
- Do not look to the proud, nor turn aside to false gods. Psalm 40:4
- Have regard for the weak. Psalm 41:1
- Come near to Him for praise and worship. Psalm 65:4
- Walk in the presence of God. Psalm 84:4
- Know that God is the source of their strength. Psalm 84:5,7
- Who are going on with God. Psalm 84:5
- Acclaim God, publicly praise Him. Psalm 89:15, 84:14
- Receive the discipline of the Lord and learn from it. Psalm 94:12
- Maintain justice and do what is right. Psalm 106:3
- Recognize that their provision comes from God. Psalm 107:38
- Fear the Lord. Psalm 112:1
- Are the generation of the upright. Psalm 112:2
- Come in the name of the Lord. Psalm 118:26
- Whose ways are blameless. Psalm 119:1
- Walk in God’s way. Psalm 119:1, Psalm 128:1
- Keep His laws. Psalm 119:2
- Seek Him with all their heart. Psalm 119:2
- Treat children as blessed. Psalm 127:3,5
- Whose help and hope is the God of Jacob. Psalm 146:5.
For the next week, bless the spirits of men and women of influence in the political and economic arena to fit the profile of those who are blessed of the Lord.
Question: Are you applying these Biblical principles to the leadership of government in your country?
You can comment on this devotional online at: