Journal Of Gratitude
Make a joyful shout to the LORD, all you lands!
Serve the LORD with gladness;
Come before His presence with singing.
Know that the LORD, He is God;
It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves;
We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.
Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,
And into His courts with praise.
Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.
For the LORD is good; His mercy is everlasting,
And His truth endures to all generations. Psalm 100
Surely goodness and mercy shall pursue me all the days of my life. Psalm 23:6
We often neglect to tell those who matter most how much God blesses us through their lives. Our family relationships are richer when we express our gratitude to God for them and tell them so. Gratitude starts with humility, acknowledging that we enjoy blessings because of God’s mercies. A friend’s personally designed Christmas card read, “Thou hast given us so much. Give us one thing more…a grateful heart.”
Reflect on every person for whom you are grateful and for what you are grateful. Take out pen and paper, and share the overflow of your heart with your family. Your thanksgiving blessing will become a treasured legacy. Pray with me, “Lord, make my heart a habitation where gratitude sings.”
These thoughts will get you started. Your own journal of gratitude will be longer and much more specific.
Father, from whom every family on earth is named, we give thanks-
- for time together as a family
- for our continuing love relationship with You through Jesus
- for our love relationship with each other
- for life, health, bright minds, and physical safety
- for food, clothing, a comfortable house, a clean bed
- for enjoying being together with laughter
- for the uniqueness of each one
- for the rock of strength that prayer is for us
- for faithful friends who encourage us by praying for our family
- for seeing God’s hand of grace at work in our lives as we experience more of Him
- for God’s plan for our lives and His enabling to keep us in His will each day
- for weaknesses through which God shows Himself strong in us
- for wisdom and guidance in daily circumstances
- for strength for daily demands of job and family
- for hope, peace, victory, satisfaction, and fulfillment
- for financial blessings
- for spiritual strength in spiritual battles
- for Your patience in the testing, struggles, and refining that we grow through
- for Jesus’ sufficiency for today’s grace
- for forgiveness received and forgiveness extended
- for hearts of obedience
- for more than we could ever deserve!
Thanks, family, for who you are and all you mean to me.
Learn more about knowing Jesus at: http://thoughts-about-god.com/four-laws/
Adapted from Journal Of Gratitude In The Empty Nest Season Of Life, Prayer Essentials For Living In His Presence Vol 1, page 75 © Sylvia Gunter, 2000, The Father’s Business, P O Box 380333, Birmingham, AL 35238.
Available at www.thefathersbusiness.com. An archive of past devotionals is also available there.