“And don’t forget to thank Him” Philippians 4:6
In my daily devotional one day, the words of the song ‘Count Your Blessings, Name Them One by One‘ was included. I haven’t sung that song for a long time – the words are tremendous:
Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, ev’ry doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.
What a wonderful reminder to take the time to think about what God is doing for us. Too often we focus just on the horrid things – the evil, the hurricanes, the floods and devastation and famine.
But take time every day to verbalize or write all you are thankful for. You may want to use this outline. Doing so will revitalize your soul.
Begin with Thanksgiving
Psalm 100:4 tells us,
“Enter into His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise.”
• Thank Him for His patience and forgiveness.
• Thank Him for the privilege of coming into His presence.
• Thank Him for what He has done in and through your life in the last year.
List What He Has Done
Take time to list what God has done for you. Be specific. Think through every area of your life.
Become Still Before the Lord. (Psalm 46:10)
• Consider who God is. (Psalm 103)
• Praise Him for His attributes. (Psalm 145)
• Rejoice in your fellowship with Him and that He delights in you. (Proverbs 15:8)
• Read passages of scripture and pray them back to God. (Psalms 146-150)
• Sing to the Lord.
Lord I thank You for the beauty of the seasons. I thank You for health and strength. I thank You for people to love and people who love me. I love You God and thank for loving me first. Amen.
You can comment on this devotional online at: