When You Don’t Know What to Do

by Gail Rodgers

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.” (Colossians 3:12-15)

Life is not always easy. Everyday letters come to this website from those of you walking through complex, confusing, and even tragic things that have unexpectedly imposed themselves on lives with little or no warning. If you find yourself arising to a day that is in turmoil, consider getting dressed for your day according to scripture.

Whenever you don’t know what to do, do this one thing first — clothe yourself with compassion, kindness and humility.

Pull on gentleness, patience and forgiveness. Wrap the cloak of love around them all as you go. (Colossians 3:12-15)

Deliberately put these things on just as you deliberately put on your clothes. Ask the Holy Spirit to strengthen and help you.

As you step into the challenges of today clothe yourself first with these characteristics. Be intentional about keeping them in focus. Be specific in asking God’s help to demonstrate them as you walk. It will impact the day of turmoil and help bring God’s peace.

In a day when peace seems impossible this is the first step to having God’s peace rule your heart. Those around you, who share the difficult circumstances, will be steadied by your presence as you dress in the things only God can give in the measure you need today.

Father God, I need Your Spirit to clothe me with a soft heart today. Though things around me may be hard, may I help bring Your presence into the circumstances of today by being dressed with the characteristics Your Holy Spirit can bring to my life. Stir within me a thankful heart and use my presence to help bring Your presence of peace to those around me. I ask this in the strong name of Jesus, Amen.

Question: How do you keep these characteristics of God in focus?

You can comment on this devotional online at:

This entry was posted in Thoughts by All, thoughts by Gail Rodgers, Women's Thoughts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to When You Don’t Know What to Do

1. Gail says:

Isabella, I am sorry to hear of the difficulty and hurt you have experienced in your marriage. This huge breach of trust is not something that you will likely forget, however many couples have survived such crisis when one is willing to forgive and the other is willing to be accountable and change their ways.

I encourage you and your husband to seek counselling in your marriage. Rebuilding of the sacred trust in marriage will require time and a willingness for your husband to be accountable. God can help you both live in the characteristics of this scripture and chart a new course for your marriage and your home.

God bless you,
    Gail

2. Gail says:

Dear Annie,
    Thank you for taking the time to write. I hope I didn’t imply that having a soft heart means you are weak. Quite the contrary. When the heart is soft first toward God than His Spirit enables you to be clothed with the characteristics listed in the scripture verse. That is really true strength.

It doesn’t mean you set yourself in harms way, or live with no boundaries but it does mean you receive your strength and wisdom from the Lord Himself to walk in love where He has placed you.

I hope this helps.

Warmly,
    Gail

3. Isabella says:

Two weeks ago I found out that my husband of 12yrs has been cheating on me with a Hindu/ also married woman for almost more than a year now. This really took me off guard as infidelity was the last thing on my mind…I did not think he would cheat on me ever.I am now trying to forget what he has done and trying to make sense of this whole thing because we are both born again Christians. I really need advise on how to forget and move pass this. I have been praying for guidance…

4. June says:

are you walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?

5. Annie says:

This is really bad advice. In this day we should be strong christians, not weak. Sometimes being a Christian means being strong. Possibly you are not single and a “soft heart” works for you. Please advise your children to be stronger than a soft heart, but to walk in the will of God.

6. Stephen Bernard says:

As I am awake, I commit my day to the Lord Jesus. I learned to live a day at a time in Jesus. I keep Jesus in front of me or ‘He places Himself in front of me, so I am not shaken.’ He blesses every day of mine and my family’s. Praise the Lord.

Thank you for the encouraging devotional. God bless you and keep you.