“Honor your father and mother, as the Lord your God commanded you. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God is giving you.” Deuteronomy 5:16
When I entered my teen years and was first married, I tended to focus on what I thought my dad did wrong. However, now I have raised my own family and have married grandchildren and I find myself thinking more and more on what my dad did right and how his godly life style has been passed on to four generations.
I thank the Lord for my dad!
The following are some of things my dad did right!
• He raised us to fear God and follow Him.
• He loved his family and prayed for us.
• He was faithful to my mother all of her life.
• He enjoyed life. He liked to play jokes on people.
• He worked very hard to provide for the family– we had a large family and beside the dairy farm, he also worked at another job to make ends meet.
• He taught his children how to work hard.
• He demonstrated hospitality. Even though there were seven children and we lived in a small house, we often had some his nephews living with us. There was always room for one more.
• He was very generous, gave a lot of money to the Lord. Near the end of his life, he worked at a Thrift store and often gave furniture to people who weren’t able to pay.
• He provided transportation for seniors who needed to go to the doctor, he visited the sick. Almost to the day he went for surgery and died he was helping others.
There are many more good things I remember about my dad, but today I just want to say:
Thank you Lord, for giving us godly fathers who do their best to raise their family in the knowledge and fear of the Lord. Lord bless them and encourage them to keep on doing what is right. Amen.
You can comment on this devotional online at: