“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.“ 1 John 1:9
We moved to a different house a few year ago. We’d only been in our new home a few days, when the garbage disposal stopped working. So, I got on my knees and peered under the kitchen sink until I found a little red reset button. I pushed it and the garbage disposal worked once again.
Most appliances can easily be restarted by simply pressing the reset button.
Unconfessed sin, like the garbage disposal, can stop us from being joyful and leading productive lives. King David states in Psalm 38 that he suffered because his sin led to health problems and separated him from God–then he confessed his sin.
That is what we must do to reestablish our fellowship with God. Although, when we accept Christ to be our Lord and Savior, we will always be His child (John 1:12), but sin separates us from having fellowship with God.
We can use the reset button and have fellowship with God again. When we confess and turn from our sin, we can be sure that God will forgive us and cleanse us from all sin (John 1:9). He gives us a new, clean beginning and restores fellowship with Him.
I encourage you to take a moment to ask God if there is anything in your life that displeases Him. Listen to His voice. If He brings specific things to your mind—take the time to admit to the act or attitude as being sinful and receive His forgiveness.
When my brother, at the age of 40, understood for the first time that his sins, past present and future, were forgiven, he jumped up and down, shouting, “I’m free, I’m free!
We all can be free.
“Dear Father, I need You. I acknowledge that I have been directing my own life and that, as a result, I have sinned against You. I thank You that You have forgiven my sins through Christ’s death on the cross for me. I now invite Christ to again take His place on the throne of my life. Fill me with the Holy Spirit as You commanded me to be filled, and as You promised in Your Word that You would do if I asked in faith. I now thank You for directing my life and for filling me with the Holy Spirit.”
If you prayed this prayer, we at Thoughts about God would love to hear about it! We will send you information to help you discover more about the Spirit led life. To contact us, fill out the form below.
- Spiritual Oxygen – Are you getting enough?
- How to Be Sure God is Listening to Your Prayers
- Four Spiritual Laws that Could Change Your Life – The basics to understanding Christianity and why Christ came to earth, died for our sins and then rose from the dead. How to know Jesus personally.
- Reading the Bible – where to start?
- God’s Plan – How can I recognize my destiny?
- How you can Walk in the Spirit – printable lesson (pdf file) Victorious Christian experience versus defeated experience. Learn how to be one of those people whose Christian experience is fulfilling and abundant.
- How to be Filled with the Holy Spirit
- How does the Holy Spirit fit into Christianity? Why is it important for me to understand this?
- Knowing Jesus Personally – 4 lessons (printable pdf file)
- Lesson 1: Understanding your relationship with Jesus Christ
- Lesson 2: Experiencing God’s love
- Lesson 3: Power for Living (the Holy Spirit)
- Lesson 4: Growing in your relationship with Christ
- How to Experience God’s love and forgiveness (3 parts)
- How to Witness in the Spirit
- How to Pray with Confidence